Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Wisdom from the Road #63

On laundry #2

Use the hostel's washing machine and/or dryer. It will most likely be cheaper than going to the self-service laundromat around the corner. Note: This tip is applicable in Japan. I am not sure in other countries.

In the middle of my trip in Japan, I needed to do laundry as I had brought just a few clothes. The hostel had one washing machine which could be used by guests for free (just pay for laundry soap for 100 yen), but no dryer. Since I was moving to another city the next day, I needed a dryer. The hostel's washing machine was being used by another guest and I was too impatient to wait. I lugged my bagful of dirty clothes and went to the self-service laundromat nearby. The laundromat was empty and all the buttons and dials on the washing machines and dryers were in Japanese. It took me quite some time to figure out how to use the machines and I also had to pay 300 yen for the washing machine, 100 yen for the laundry soap, and 300 yen for the dryer (100 yen/10 minutes).

No comments:

Post a Comment